----------------------------------------------------------------00---------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------00---------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------0---------------------------------------------------------------

Blank
---------------------------------------------------------------- 0---------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------01---------------------------------------------------------------

Masthead No. 5      1953

----------------------------------------------------------------01---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------02---------------------------------------------------------------

Printed in Scotland
----------------------------------------------------------------02---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------03---------------------------------------------------------------

CREAG DHUBH.

THE ANNUAL OF THE
CLAN MACPHERSON ASSOCIATION.

____________________

All contributions, advertisements, etc.,
should be sent to:
Colin C. I. Murdoch,
Editor, Creag Dhubh
PITMAIN BEAG, KINGUSSIE, INVERNESS-SHIRE.
Contributors and Advertisers -- See Notices on P. 52.

_________________________________________

CONTENTS.


Page
Office-Bearers    4
The Rally, 1952    5
Scottish Clans -- No. 19 -- The Macphersons; a BBC Broadcast,    9
Photograph of Clan Country.   13
Photomontage of Various Individuals Attending 1952 Rally   14
A Woman's Point of View.   15
The Story Behind Clan Macpherson House and Museum   16
Progress Report on Fundraising Appeal   18
List of Relics and Memorials Received Since 1950.   19
Story of a Gallant Macpherson .   20
Rules Governing Wearing of the Crest Badge   20
List of Subscriptions to the Fundraising Appeal   22
Programme for 1953 Rally   24
The 'Just Double' [Controversy Concerning the 1722 Bond]   25
Balance Sheet   28
Obituary.   30
News and Notes.   31
Reports from the Branches   34
List of Members, UK Branches   38
Photograph of Clan House Opening Ceremony and Lord and Lady Macpherson of Drumochter at London Dinner Dance   39
Photograph of Invercargill Branch Dinner, NZ, 1952   40
Historical Documents Committee   43
List of Members Gained/Lost Since 1952   45
Summary of Membership as of 31st December 1952   51
Notices   51

----------------------------------------------------------------03---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------04---------------------------------------------------------------

CLAN MACPHERSON ASSOCIATION.

Hon. President:
EWEN GEORGE MACPHERSON of CLUNY MACPHERSON,

Chief of the Clan. Hon. Vice-President:
Lt.-Col. A. K. MACPHERSON of Pitmain. M.V.O., Kingussie

Rt. Hon. Lord MACPHERSON of Drumochter,
Fairstead, Great Warley, Essex.

COUNCIL.

OFFICERS OF THE ASSOCIATION.

Chairman :
Major NIALL MACPHERSON, M.P., High Larch, Iver Heath, Bucks.

Vice-Chairman :
HUGH MACPHERSON, F.S.A Scot, Balnagarrow, Glebe Road, Cramond

Hon. Secretary:
A. F. MACPHERSON, W.S., 16 Castle Street, Edinburgh,

Hon. Treasurer :
ALLAN G. MACPHERSON, Tigh-Tiorail, 32 Crown Drive, Inverness

Registrar :
NORMAN L. MACPHERSON, 44 Berridale Avenue, Cathcart, Glasgow, S.4.

MEMBERS OF COUNCIL:

BADENOCH- Ex-Provost EVAN CATTANACH, Kingussie.

JOHN S. MACPHERSON, Kingussie
INVERNESS & NORTH OF SCOTLAND--T. J. MACPHERSON Kingsmill Road, Inverness

DONALD MACPHERSON57 Dulnain Road, Inverness
EAST OF SCOTLAND- A.I.S. MACPHERSON, M.B., F.R.C.S.26 Learmonth Crescent, Edinburgh, 4.

HUGH MACPHERSON73 Balgreen Road, Edinburgh, 12.

WEST OF SCOTLAND- DONALD MACPHERSON, 20 Ancaster Drive, Glasgow, W.2.

HAMISH MACPHERSON,1356 Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow, S.1,
INVERNESS &
NORTH OF SCOTLAND-
JOHN MACPHERSON,St. Margarets, Midmills Road.

ALLAN G. MACPHERSON, Tigh-Tiorail, 32 Crown Drive.
ENGLAND & WALES- Lt.-Col. DUNCAN I. MACPHERSON
OF BANCHOR, O.B.E.,
Bideford, Devon.

J. GORDON MACPHERSON,Normans, Great Warley, Brentwood, Essex.
CANADA- Hon. EWEN A. McPHERSON, Chief Justice of Manitoba

Col. E. R. RIVERS MACPHERSON,
O.B.E., F.R.S.A., F.R.G.S.,
16 Delaware Avenue, Ottawa.
NEW ZEALAND- ROBERT McPHERSON, C.B.E. P.O. Box 1280, Christchurch.

DANIEL MACPHERSONSec. 7, Otahuti R.D., Southland.

Clan Pipers :
ANGUS MACPHERSON, Invershin.

Hon. Auditor .
KENNETH N. McPHERSON, C.A., Edinburgh.

Editor of Clan Annual:
COLIN C.I. MURDOCH
c/o J & R Simpson
52 Kempock Street, Gourock

----------------------------------------------------------------04---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------05---------------------------------------------------------------

The Rally, 1952 and Opening of Clan House.

      OUR Clan Rallies seem to have a way of including in their programme, each year, something special. No two have been alike. There was the vivid pageantry of the opening year at Newtonmore; weather and everything about that event made it unforgettable for all who were there. Since then, though the framework of the Annual Gathering has been kept broadly the saint, there would seem to be something different each time. A meeting in a precariously perched marquee on the slopes of Creag Dhubh itself; the events in Edinburgh, in Festival Year, when the Murrayfield Gathering seemed a large scale edition of our Original events at Newtonmore and Kingussie; and now we come to write of the Rally of 1952, in which the main event, and one of major importance in the Association's history and indeed in that of the Clan in these modem times, was the formal opening of our Clan House.

      The 1952 Rally opened on Friday, 22nd August, with a Ceilidh in the Village Hall, Newtonmore. After a tune on the pipes by Hugh Macpherson, Edinburgh, the proceedings were opened by Lord Macpherson of Drumochter, who acted as "fear an tighe." In his words of welcome to a gathering of over two hundred, Lord Macpherson said it was two years since the Association had met in Badenoch, and very glad they all were to be back. He gave a particular word of welcome to the clansmen who, had come from abroad and from distant parts of these Islands.

      The programme of music, song, recitation, and dancing was obviously highly popular, and the easy, pleasant manner in which the items were presented more than suggested the homely atmosphere of the ceilidh in its original form. The various items and artistes were as follows:
      Piping, by Mr Alex. Macpherson, Kingussie; "Hail, Clan Vurich," the newly composed rallying song of the Macphersons, sung for the first time in public by Mr Simon Mackenzie, of Beauly (this song was composed by Mr Ian Macpherson, Glasgow); beautiful singing to her clarsach accompaniment by Miss Rhoda Macpherson, Inverness; the Misses Margot and Una Campbell,

----------------------------------------------------------------05---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------06---------------------------------------------------------------

Newtonmore, sang duets, and this was followed by a fine display of Highland dancing by Miss Jean Macpherson, of Edinburgh, her father, Hugh Macpherson, playing the accompaniment on the pipes.

      The ever-popular "Road to the Isles" was rousingly-sung by Mrs. Hunter from Pitlochry, who sang again in the second half of the programme. Mr Tom Cattanach, Newtonmore, sang a song of his own composition, in praise of the country and clansmen of Badenoch, and other stirring airs. The Badenoch Strathspey and Reel Society played two selections of most popular Scottish dance tunes, their wonderful music being undoubtedly one of the highlights of the evening and providing a nice contrast to the soothing melodies of Miss Macpherson's clarsach.

      Soloists were Mrs. Rose Stewart, Newtonmore; Mr John Mackintosh, Aviemore, whose Gaelic was specially popular; Mrs. Mary Fraser, Aviemore, who also sang in the Gaelic; the youthful Gaelic soloist, Miss Lorna MacLeod, Newtonmore; Mrs. Ian Cattanach and Mrs. Evan Cattanach, Kingussie. Two displays of Country Dancing were given by Mrs. Colin Murdoch and ladies from Kingussie, dancing "The Glasgow Highlanders" and "The Reel of the 51st Division." Mr Dugald Campbell, Laggan, gave two highly humorous recitations in his well-known Highland manner. Miss Margot Campbell and Major Niall Macpherson, M.P., were accompanists at the piano.

      In passing a vote of thanks at the conclusion of the ceilidh to the artistes and to the chairman, Lord Macpherson, Major Niall Macpherson told the audience that it was in fact thirty years since, at a youthful age, he had first organised a concert in that hall ; it was a very happy night for him to be there once again and among so many old friends. A special vote of thanks was passed to Mrs. Alex. Macpherson, Kingussie, secretary of the Badenoch Branch, for her work in organising such an exceptionally good and really enjoyable ceilidh.

      On Saturday, the Annual General Meeting was -held in the Hall, Newtonmore, and attended by nearly a hundred members. Apologies for absence, and messages expressing good wishes and Clan greetings, were read by Lord Macpherson. These included messages from 'Colonel E. R. Rivers-Macpherson, Canada; Duncan Macpherson, Hong Kong; Mrs. A. Macpherson-Costello, New York; and members in all corners of the United Kingdom who were not able to be present. On the proposal of the Chairman it was agreed to send a cable of loyal greetings to Cluny, in Australia.

      In the Council's Annual Report, the two outstanding events of the previous year referred to were the purchase of the Clan House, and the Gathering of the Clans in Edinburgh. Lord Macpherson then spoke, saying that this was his last term in office as Chairman, but he would agree to continue as Chairman of the Appeals Committee. Good progress had been made up till then, with C886 of the �000 required already contributed. He congratulated Norman

----------------------------------------------------------------06---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------07---------------------------------------------------------------

Macpherson on his, loyal and capable work as curator of the Clan House and Museum, and said how fortunate the Association was in having him for this work.

      The Treasurer, Allan G. Macpherson, then presented his report which he said was "not a very pleasant one," but the deficit shown on the year's account was due to subsidising the house purchase from the general funds; next year a brighter picture would be shown. Allan in turn was warmly thanked for his hard work for the Association, as Treasurer.

      The election of office-bearers followed, and Major Niall Macpherson, M.P., was elected Chairman. In accepting, Major Niall thanked members for this confidence shown in him, and also spoke of the achievements of the Association's first Chairman, Lord Macpherson. Hugh Macpherson was elected as Vice-Chairman, and Lord Macpherson was appointed as an Honorary Vice-President. Other office-bearers were all re-elected for another year, and in addition a new appointment was made, Donald Macpherson (Glasgow) being elected junior Clan Piper. Finally, the plans for the ensuing year were briefly discussed, and it was agreed that the 1953 Rally would be held in Badenoch, though details could not at that time be settled.

OPENING OF CLAN HOUSE.

      After the Annual General Meeting, the Macphersons marched through the main street, led by pipers, to the front of the Clan House at the west end of the village, where a crowd had already begun to gather to witness the ceremony. The afternoon was fine, and with the green Association banner flying aloft, the scene was cheerful and picturesque with the good show of tartan and colour.

      Major Niall Macpherson, M.P., the new Chairman, acted as chairman at the opening ceremony and spoke of the, happiness of the occasion for all Macphersons and their friends. This was to be known as the "Clan Macpherson House," he said. "Clan" by courtesy of Cluny Macpherson. That event marked the fulfilment of a great ambition, and it was cheering to see so many of the Clan and so many guests present. Major Macpherson expressed special words of welcome to the Mackintosh of Mackintosh and his Lady; the Very Rev. Dugald Macfarlane, D.D., Kingussie; Col. and Mrs. Grant of Rothiemurchus; Col. and Mrs. Ritchie of Craigdhu; Provost and Mrs. Campbell, Kingussie, and the many other friends who had so kindly come along to the ceremony.

      Apologies for absence had been received from Mrs. Macpherson of Glentruim; Lord Bilsland and Lady Bilsland of Kinrara; Capt. John MacLeod, M.P.; Mr and Mrs. Henderson Stewart; Sir David and Lady Robertson, and from Provost and Mrs. J. M. Grigor, Inverness. Major Niall Macpherson then called upon Lady Macpherson of Drumochter to open the House. Behind every

----------------------------------------------------------------07---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------08---------------------------------------------------------------

successful man, Major Macpherson remarked, it had been truly said there is a good wife, and Lord Macpherson, the moving spirit in the work of the Association, had always had the fullest support and encouragement of his Lady.

      A bouquet composed of white heather and red whortleberry (both collected on the Moy estate by the Mackintosh of Mackintosh specially for that Presentation) and red roses, was then handed to Lady Macpherson by Miss Jean Macpherson of Edinburgh. Lady Macpherson then addressed the gathering, saying how happy she was to have these lovely flowers of Badenoch. From the Chief down, she continued, the Clan was now dispersed far and wide, but the Association had not only acquired their own piece of land on Creag Dhubh, but now their own Clan House also in their own Clan country. It was to be a Clan House, as well as a museum for the valued relics and treasures of the Macphersons ; and it would be a real centre for visiting clansmen coming from all parts of the world. She had often been asked, when abroad, by Macphersons who hoped to revisit their clan country, where to go and what to see. That House would provide the extra link to bind the Clan closer to its own people and its own land.

      The Rev. J. S. Wood, M.A., Newtonmore, then offered prayer, and Major Niall Macpherson called upon his mother, Lady Stewart Macpherson, to present a small gift as a memento of the occasion to Lady Macpherson of Drumochter. In making this presentation, a silver key brooch, Lady Stewart Macpherson said she hoped it would always unlock happy memories of glorious Badenoch, and of Clan treasures and friendships.

      In conclusion, Lord Macpherson of Drumochter spoke of the urgent need of the Association to raise funds to repay the purchase price of the house. He hoped that before the end of the day the first thousand pounds of the three thousand needed would be reached. Over �0 had been received up to that moment, and Lord Macpherson read several letters of good wishes from people in many parts of the world who had just sent donations, one being from an American lady in Kansas City in memory of her nephew, Harry Macpherson, junr., who was killed in 1943. Before the end of the day Lord Macpherson was in fact able to announce that the generous contributions handed to him had enabled the thousand mark to be reached and passed.

      After the ceremony visitors and guests had an opportunity of inspecting the museum and seeing the relics which were on view.

      Following the opening of the Clan House, an informal gathering of the Association was held in St. Andrew's Church Hall, Kingussie, where ladies of the Badenoch Branch and helpers were hostesses and served an excellent tea, and a large number of members enjoyed this opportunity of meeting one another.

      Mrs. Macpherson of Glentruim, though unable to attend the week-end events, sent word that the grounds of Glentruim House

----------------------------------------------------------------08---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------09---------------------------------------------------------------

would be open to any Macphersons and their friends who wished to visit them. Mrs. Macpherson regretted that she was not able to entertain her guests personally.

Dance.

      On Saturday evening the day's events were concluded by a most enjoyable dance held in the Drill Hall, Kingussie, and attended by a large gathering of members and their friends. A lively programme of items old and new was carried out to the music of the Newtonmore Revellers Band. Ladies of the local Branch and other helpers served tea and refreshments. Mr Alex. Cattanach, Glendell, Kingussie, was M.C.

Annual Church Service.

      On Sunday, members of the Clan Macpherson Association joined the congregation of St. Columba's Church, Kingussie, in a special morning service which was conducted by the Rev. Alexander Macpherson, B.D., B.Sc., Greenock. Lord Macpherson of Drumochter and Major Niall Macpherson, M.P., read the lessons. Major Macpherson also played the organ. In his sermon Mr Macpherson spoke of the value to be placed on tradition in life to-day in a world where tradition and established ways of life were constantly threatened.

_____________________

THE SCOTTISH CLANS -- No. 19 THE CLAN MACPHERSON.
Broadcast on Wednesday, 4th February, 1953, in the Scottish Home Service.

      The B.B.C. have kindly given permission for the publication. in Creag Dhubh of the script of this programme, for which we are extremely grateful.

(Opening Song).
                     O where, tell me where, is your Highland laddie gone ?
                     O where, tell me where, is your Highland laddie gone ?
                     He's gone with streaming banners, where noble deeds are done,
                     And my sad heart will tremble till he come safely home."

Alastair Macintyre:--
      Mrs. Grant of Laggan, Sir Walter Scott's friend, wrote that song, and a fine song it is, too. The poetess lived in the heart of the Macpherson

----------------------------------------------------------------09---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------10---------------------------------------------------------------

country and when she wrote it as -- "she dwelt beneath the holly tree, and saw the youth of Badenoch set out to fight under the gallant Abercromby."

Verse 3--
                     "O where, tell me where, did your Highland laddie stay?
                     O where, tell me where, did your Highland laddie stay?
                     He dwelt beneath the holly bush beside the rapid Spey,
                     And many a blessing followed him the day he went away,
                     He dwelt beneath the holly bush beside the rapid Spey,
                     And many a blessing followed him the day he went away."

      The Clan Macpherson is one of the principal branches of Clan Chattan, and its history goes back to the 12th century when Muireach, a descendant of the great Gillicatan Mor, was a parson in Kingussie. From him the Clan is known in Gaelic as Clann Mhuirich, and in English -- Macpherson, the son of the Parson.

      The Macphersons took part as members of the victorious Clan Chattan in the famous "trial by combat" fought at Perth in 1396. It was during this "trial" in Perth that the famous Black Chanter of the Macphersons -- the Feadan Dubh -- appeared. The story goes that an aerial minstrel after playing some wild strains, let the Chanter fall on the battlefield where the Macphersons' piper picked it up. The piper, mortally wounded, played the Clan pibroch on it, inspiring his Clansmen to victory.

      So, as becomes the possessors of that famous Black Chanter, the Macphersons have many fine tunes such as "Cluny's Reel."

Pipes: "Cluny's Reel."

      Situated as they were in Badenoch, astride one of the main pathways from the Lowlands to the Highlands, the Macphersons were in a position of the greatest strategic importance, and their services as allies were sought by all the warring factions in the troubles between Highlands and Lowlands. They held the Castle of Ruthven for Mary, Queen of Scots, when the Earl of Argyll entered Badenoch and laid siege to it. Six hundred of the Clan were out with Montrose. In 1715 they saw the raising of the standard at the Braes of Mar, and they were at Sheriffmuir, too.

[King James VI was on the Scottish throne when Andrew Macpherson of Cluny held the Ruthven Castle against Argyll in 1594. She abdicated 1567 and was beheaded by her cousin, Elizabeth of England in 1587.

Lachlan Macpherson of Nuide lead the Macpherson contingent during the Rising of 1715 but it is unlikely that they were on the Braes of Mar when the standard of James VIII was raised. There is evidence that there was a Macphersons contingent in the vicinity of the Sheriffmuir battlefield but they, like the MacGregors under Rob Roy, chose to avoid participation in the battle. -- RM]

      With this heritage of loyalty to the Stuart cause, the clan rallied once more to the Jacobite cause to serve their Prince. Cluny, the chief who was a Captain in Lord Loud-on's Highlanders, threw up his commission, raised the Clan and joined Prince Charles' army after Prestonpans.

      Under his magnificent leadership, the Clan gave a glorious account of -themselves throughout -the campaign. There is a queer story that before the Battle of Culloden an old witch told the Duke of Cumberland that if he waited until the arrival of the Macphersons with their Green Banner and Black Chanter he would be defeated. He didn't wait. The Macphersons had taken a great part in the Jacobite victory at Falkirk, but arrived too late at Culloden. Perhaps just a tale, but had they been there the ending might have been different! To them had been entrusted the important charge of guarding the Southern approaches through the Grampians. After that fatal battle, Prince Charles was a fugitive with a price upon his head. Cluny Macpherson was with him the greater part of the time conducting him to safe retreats in his own beloved Badenoch until his Prince finally escaped to France.

      Then for eight years Cluny himself was a fugitive on his own lands. His home, Cluny Castle, was plundered and burnt to the ground. He moved from cave to cave. He had a special cage built for himself on Ben Alder and a large reward was offered for information leading to his arrest. His hiding places were known to over a hundred of his Clansmen, but he was never betrayed.

Song: "Thickest night o'erhang my dwelling."

      Many stories are told of Cluny's hair-breadth escapes. The troops surrounded the house where he was sheltering for the night. Escape was impossible. Cluny hastily changed his clothes and boldly went to the door.

----------------------------------------------------------------10---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------11---------------------------------------------------------------

      Out he walked and going over to the officer's horse, took hold of the bridle while the soldiers conducted their search. There he waited until they were finished. As the officer made to mount, Cluny handed him the reins and to the officer's question if he knew where Cluny was, he replied, "No, I do not, and if I knew I would not tell you." "I know you would not," said the officer, and with that he handed Cluny a shilling for his kindness in holding his horse.

      He offered Cluny a shilling and yet all the time Cluny was a hunted fugitive in Ben Alder, he was disbursing hundreds of pounds amongst those other than himself who had suffered for their loyalty.

      Ten years after Culloden, Cluny himself won his way to France where he accounted to the Prince for every penny of the �,000 left in his charge. Lady Cluny joined him two years later with their only son who had been born in a kiln where his mother had taken refuge. Needless to say the Cluny estates were forfeited, but his Macpherson clansmen paid one rent to the Government and another to Cluny right to the day of his death.

      The Prince did realise the great service given by Cluny and his clansmen and what they endured in his cause. In a letter dated 18th September, 1746, he wrote :--

           To Macpherson of Cluny:
                As we are sensible of you and your Clan's fidelity and integrity to us during our adventures in Scotland and England in the year 1745 and 1746 in recovering our just rights (from the Elector of Hanover) by which you have sustained very great losses both in your interests and person, I therefor promise when it shall please God to put it in my power, to make a grateful return suitable to your sufferings.
                                                                              CHARLES P.R. (Prince Regent).

      Perhaps, then, we may understand with what fervour this clansman, Andrew Macpherson, sings this modem song to that old air whose character these old Macphersons so well upheld, "Scotland the Brave."

Song: " Scotland the Brave."

      For over a hundred years after Culloden, Badenoch gave high ranking officers to the British Army and statesmen to their country's service from almost every small farm, and nowhere have the native sports been maintained with such vigour and excellence. It is there, they say, that the Camanachd Cup has its home and its setting; it merely goes out on loan to other regions.

      The name of one clansman, James Macpherson, has endured rather dramatically for his skill on the fiddle. There are several legends about him. By some he was known as a freebooter and by others as one, who if he robbed the rich he gave to the poor. The end was inevitable. James was seized and tried for his offences. The sentence was death. On the day of execution he mounted the scaffold, and when he saw the crowd that had gathered, he picked up his fiddle and played his farewell -- a tune he had composed the night before. When he had finished, he asked if anyone would care for his fiddle. There was no response. With that, Macpherson broke it over his knees and flung the fragments among them. That last lightsome air with which he played his own requiem still remains as one of our most popular fiddle tunes.

Violin: "Macpherson's Lament."

And Burns gave fame to the incident with this song:

Song: "Sae wantonly, etc."

      Another and a very different James Macpherson made fame for himself and his Clan later in the same -century. He issued versions in English of the Gaelic poems by Ossian, the greatest of the ancient bards of Scotland and Ireland. The authenticity of his translations was challenged, but be that as it may, his presentation of this bard aroused admiration throughout the world. Napoleon carried a copy with him in his campaigns and they appealed to Jefferson, President of the United States, so much that he was anxious to know Gaelic so as to enjoy them in the original language. This James Macpherson is buried among the illustrious of the nation's dead in Westminster Abbey, but his greatness as a clansman is revealed in another way.

[Professor Alan G. wrote me that in From Gaelic to Romantic: Ossianic Translations (1998), Editors Fiona Stafford and Howard Gaskill say on p.221 that Thomas Jefferson thought Ossian the greatest poet who ever lived!    Alan added -- "Whaur's yer Wullie Shakespeare noo?"

His interment in the Abbey was not a result of his poetry; rather, he was a parishioner and money talks. -- RM]

----------------------------------------------------------------11---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------12---------------------------------------------------------------

When the Government offered him Cluny's forfeited estates as his reward, he refused and recommended that they should be restored to his chief. This was done, so, after a lapse of thirty-eight years, Duncan Macpherson of Cluny, born in a kiln, as you will remember, came into his own again.       Some years before that, however, young Duncan had received a commission in the Fraser Highlanders, and he saw active service in Canada. A large contingent of his Clansmen went with him and it was in the arms of one of them, Orderly Sergeant John Macpherson, that General Wolfe died.

[It is doubtful that Duncan served in Canada with Wolfe. Wolfe died in 1759 at the Battle of Quebec. Duncan was born in 1748 and thus was only 11 years of age at the time. He did enter militry service at age 17 and served in a variety of units among which was the 71st Fraser Highlanders during the American Revolutionary War where he commanded the 2nd Battalion. He avoided being captured with that regiment at the Battle of Yorktown in 1781 by being sent home earlier with dispatches. However, enroute, he was captured by an American privateer and spent the next sixteen months as a prisoner. There is some additional interesting information about Duncan of the Kiln in Alan G.'s classic A Day's March to Ruin (1996) pp 249-250 . This book is primarily focused on the Macpherson activity during the Rising of 1745. It's available through the Clan store -- RM]

      The connection with the British Army which Duncan began was carried on by his son, Ewen, 20th Chief of his Clan. He was the last of the old Highland Chiefs, and Queen Victoria wrote enthusiastically in her journal of his loyalty. This loyalty has been manifest ever since for each succeeding Chief has given notable military service to the Empire including the present Chief, Ewen George Macpherson of Cluny, 24th [23rd; remember Albert Cameron, old Cluny's fourth son was not the Chief although he did inherit the Cluny Estate -- RM] of his line who is now in Australia.       The courage of these Macphersons was expressed, but in another form, by their clanswoman who will always be known as "[Big] Mary of the Songs." She was one of the Macphersons of Skye and she lived during the time of the land agitation, when the women of Skye faced up to a party of policemen at "The Battle of the Braes." Mary was fearless in her denunciation of the troubles and injustices that beset and harassed her people. She endured imprisonment and she said that it was to find relief from her sufferings that she began to write her songs. It has to be credited to the Macpherson Chiefs that they never evicted a clansman. This is one of Mary Macpherson's songs in which she deplores the changes that have taken place in her native Isle.

Song: " The Isle of the Mist."

      The Clan has followed the lead of its Chiefs. Macphersons have found their way all over the world. North America attracted many of them. James Birdseye Macpherson [McPherson] was one of the ablest leaders in the Union Forces, and General Grant coupled his name with Sherman's as "The men to whom above all others, I feel indebted for whatever I have had of success."       But it was in India that the Macphersons proved their worth and showed what they were capable of achieving. Sir John Macpherson's soldierly bearing and his administrative abilities gained him the appointment of Governor General. At the first Relief of Lucknow, two clansmen won the V.C., General Sir Herbert Taylor Macpherson who later succeeded the Duke of Connaught in command of the Meerut Division of the Bengal Army, and the other to win the supreme award was Colour Sergeant Stewart Macpherson by his coolness and gallantry in action.

      In more recent times that sense of high calling so characteristic of the Macphersons was worthily maintained by the late Sir T. Stewart Macpherson, a son of a crofter whose three sons rose to high distinction. Lord Strathcarron attained Cabinet rank, another was commissioned and decorated in the first World War. The eldest son, Sir Stewart, became a judge of the High Court in India and Vice Chancellor of Patna University. No greater tribute to the respect in which he was held than that thirteen years after his retirement and with India having full independence, a special day of mourning was held in Patna University to mark his memory. His son, Major Niall Macpherson, Member of Parliament for Dumfries-shire, is now Chairman of the Clan Association. We welcome him with a tune composed in honour of the famous family of pipers and composers who, have been pipers to the Chiefs for generations and whose present representative, Angus Macpherson, is senior piper to the Clan Association.

Donald MacPherson: "Mrs. Macpherson of Inveran."

      Ladies and Gentlemen, Major Niall Macpherson, M.P., Chairman of The Clan Macpherson Association:
      As Chairman of the Clan Macpherson Association, I have been given the honour of speaking to the Clan Mhuirich the world over. I wish our Chief,

----------------------------------------------------------------12---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------13---------------------------------------------------------------

Photograph of Clan Country
----------------------------------------------------------------13---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------14---------------------------------------------------------------

Photomontage of Persons Attending the 1952 Rally

Top Left:-- The Rev. Robert Macpherson and Major Niall Macpherson, M.P.

Centre:-- Lady Macpherson of Drumochter speaking at the Clan House Opening; Major Niall Macpherson, Lady Stewart Macpherson and the Rev. J. S. Wood of Newtonmore sitting.

Bottom Left:-- Lady Stewart Macpherson and Mrs. A. F. Macpherson.

Top Right:-- Hugh macpherson, Lord macpherson of Drumochter and A. F. Macpherson.

Bottom Right:-- Clan march through Newtonmore to the Clan House.

----------------------------------------------------------------14---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------15---------------------------------------------------------------

Cluny Macpherson, could have spoken to you. Perhaps he is listening at his home in Australia. On your behalf I send him our loyal and affectionate greetings.

      What Macpherson has not heard the story of Cluny of the '45, the Chief who brought out his Clan in support of Prince Charlie? When others deserted him, it was in Macpherson country that the Prince found sanctuary after the defeat at Culloden Moor.

      For eight years after he had escaped to France, Cluny remained in the Highlands as the Royal representative. His enemies were out to get him, and there was a very large price on his head. But loyalty and honour prevailed over government threats and bribery alike. He was never betrayed.

      Alas, Cluny Castle and the lands of the Chief have passed out of Macpherson hands. One of Cluny's hiding places is once again in the possession of the Clan. It is a cave on the rocky south face of Creag Dhubh, the hill from which the Clan took its battle slogan.

      In our possession also is the Green Banner of the Macphersons, which always brought them victory when carried in battle. So, too, is the famous Black Chanter, said to have fallen from Heaven during the Clan fight at Perth. Both are kept with other treasures in the Clan House at Newtonmore, opened officially last year.

      To keep alive the Clan spirit and to safeguard its historic treasures, the Clan Association was founded in 1946. The next year we had a great Clan Rally' and we have had others since. We claim that ours is the most flourishing Clan Association in Scotland, with branches in Canada and in New Zealand, and members all over the world.

For:                                     "Still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland."

Not for nothing was our crest -- the Wild Cat.

      Macphersons have ever been ready to fight with prowess for their home, their Clan, and their Queen. So, also, in peace their watch-words are loyalty and honour.       The singers taking part in the programme were Eileen Woods, Charles Forbes, with a recording by Andrew Macpherson. Donald Macpherson was the piper, and the programme included a message recorded by Major Niall Macpherson, M.P., Chairman of the Clan Macpherson Association. Alastair Macintyre introduced the programme and the script and production were by Hugh Macphee.

_______________

A Woman's Point of View. -- [The High Points of a Highland Ball]

      THERE are few occasions more glamorous than a Highland Ball held in the traditional and proper setting of an ancient castle in the Highlands. I remember vividly one such Ball which seemed to bring back ghosts from the past -- the fact that the lights went out about half way through the evening had a good deal to do with this!

      Luckily we had had our supper and the cabaret (most modern and up-to-date!) was over. It was past the witching hour of midnight and the wax figures of pipers and veterans which watched from the corners of the great hall were coming to life. For the hall was no ordinary place, but an ancient banqueting hall filled with treasures, glorious tunics in glass cases along the walls, swords, banners frayed

----------------------------------------------------------------15---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------16---------------------------------------------------------------

and tattered, pictures of noble ancestors of the great family whose home the castle had been, looked down on the splendour scene.

      The band played in a little balcony or musicians' gallery of sorts, above a gigantic fireplace where logs of giant proportions blazed fiercely. Stags' heads stared from the ceiling at the whirling couples, now waltzing, now reeling. Next door, in the supper room, ancient and modern were allied to provide a Lucullan feast such as must have been enjoyed by hunters of old, though they might have sniffed at the poor appetites of these modern rationed folk. What, no roast peacock ? . . . But still, we thought we fed well.

      Then the lights began to fade, not as a planned part of the proceedings though the dimming could hardly have been better managed for full theatrical effect, but because of some technical weakness in the private lighting plant unaccustomed to such prolonged spells of hard work. As the interior of the hall grew darker, the moonlight peered in, and ghostly couples whizzed round in the in the intricacies of the "Duke of Perth," with one or two cigarette lighters held aloft as will o' the wisps to lure the shades of departed spirits to join the dance.

      On the band played merrily, never pausing. Same "bright spark" brought his car up to the windows and the headlights lit the opposite wall. But all over this gigantic castle it was dark. Candles and torches appeared but were as nothing in the vastness of the place. Then twentieth century dropped away, and the whirling dresses, all colour lost save a faint pearliness, rustled and whispered to the dark brooding figures of fierce Highlandmen in velvet doublets, rich lace at throat and wrists, a hundred different tartans, and cairngorms gleaming ...

      When at last we groped our way out of this mysterious place and by some miracle found the right coats, the atmosphere still clung about the moon-soaked park, the babbling stream, the dark bridge, and the avenue of huge trees.
                                                                                                                          A. M.

____________

Clan Macpherson House and Museum.
By Norman L. Macpherson, Registrar and Curator.

      From New Zealand, from Australia, from Africa, from India, from Canada, from the U.S.A., from Asia, from Europe (Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Sweden, Switzerland), from Northern Ireland, from Eire, from Wales, from most of counties of England, from the Isle of Man, and from Shetland and Orkney

----------------------------------------------------------------16---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------17---------------------------------------------------------------

in the North to the extreme South of Scotland, Colonial, Sassenach, Foreigner (white and coloured), Jacobite and Royalist, they came to see and rejoice over the Relics and Memorials of our Clan now gathered together in Clan Macpherson House, Newtonmore, Inverness-shire. Chiefs and members of other Clans have congratulated the Macphersons on the step they have taken in making their mementoes of the past available to the present generation, and for those who will follow, and at least one highly placed member of another Clan expressed the desire that his own people would do something on the same lines.

      The Museum was opened, informally, at Easter 1952, and remained open till the end of September. The formal opening took place on Saturday, 23rd August, 1952, when Lady Macpherson of Drumochter, wife of our first Chairman, in presence of a large and very enthusiastic audience, gracefully declared Clan Macpherson House open.

      After the Easter opening, things moved slowly and the numbers attending were small, but when the holiday season got a fair start the improvement was apparent and by the time of the formal opening well over 600 signatures had been inscribed in the Visitors' Book; these represent a good many more' than the number shown as sometimes only one of a party of three or four would sign for all. After the inauguration ceremony the visitors increased and subsequent to that date there must have been nearly 400 persons represented by signatures.

      The general impression on the visitors, so far as can he gathered, has been excellent, most of them signifying their appreciation of what has been shown and explained as is evidenced by the number of recommendations which have come to light.

      A Press appeal was addressed to all who had any articles of interest to our Clansfolk and others from overseas and elsewhere, and which had a direct connection with the Clan, either to gift or loan such objects to the Museum for a specified time in order that as many of the Relics known to be in possession of others might be put on view where they would be seen and appreciated by a much wider succession of patrons than their present situations allow, but, unfortunately, only a few availed themselves of this opportunity. To those who did are extended the very cordial thanks of the Association Council for their great kindness in allowing our visitors to share, with them, the sight of those interesting items.

      It is intended to re-open at Easter-tide next year and it will be a great encouragement to those who sponsor the venture if you who can will take this as an invitation to participate in this form of sharing the good things which you own. A note to the Curator, Clan Macpherson House, Newtonmore, Inverness-shire, giving particulars of the article or articles and the period for which they may be retained, will he appreciated and will receive immediate attention.

----------------------------------------------------------------17---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------18---------------------------------------------------------------

CLAN MACPHERSON HOUSE PROGRESS REPORT. [On Fund Raising]

      ELSEWHERE in this issue you will find our second list of subscribers to the purchase of our Clan Macpherson House. You will recollect that we have set out to raise a fund of �000 to pay for the House and its equipment, and you will note that we have now passed the first, thousand pounds. We have still a long way to go, and I am appealing to every individual Member of our Clan, as well as to each Branch, to make a special effort this year to reach the two thousand pounds mark. Will each Branch please put this item on the Agenda of their Meetings and do everything possible to keep up the interest and to continue their help to the Appeal Fund until we are free of this debt.

      Many of our Members have subscribed generously and some of our Branches have done extremely well, but there is still much we can do and I hope during 1953 that with the co-operation of everyone our target will be reached.

      The House and Museum will again be open all summer and will, I am sure, be a centre of great interest to Clansmen at home and abroad.

                                                                                                            MACPHERSON,
                                                                                                Macpherson of Drumochter,
                                                  Chairman, Clan Macpherson House Appeal Committee.

----------------------------------------------------------------18---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------19---------------------------------------------------------------

List of Relics and Memorials Received
SINCE the publication in " Creag Dhubh " No. 2 for 1950
(truncated)

      [One of the items was] "Kincheloe McPherson and Related Families" compiled by Lewis Dwinell McPherson, is a closely printed book of over 500 pages and contains a mass of information that must have cost a tremendous amount of labour and research in almost every part of America.

      The record commences about the middle of the 17th Century and continues down till the fourth decade of the 20th. The information so collated is of a very intensive nature and will be of great assistance to those of our American cousins who are interested in their early origins, as well as to those of the home folk who would like to trace the subsequent wanderings of some of their forebears who, for one reason or another, emigrated to the New World.

      It is out of the question to try to analyse the information contained in this book as it is so entirely out of the reach of a mere Britisher and must be assumed to be, from its very nature, reasonably correct.

      Either through incomplete or otherwise misinformed information there are one or two discrepancies affecting the Macpherson story, which, while not of great moment to the general purpose of the work, somewhat detract from

----------------------------------------------------------------19---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------20---------------------------------------------------------------

its value as a history; of such is the statement that the Box evergreen is the Badge of the Clan. The Box was only used when it was impossible to obtain the Red Whortleberry, their leaves being similar, and it is a tradition of the Clan that Cluny of the '45 declared that White Heather was, from a fortunately accidental happening to himself, to be, in future, the Badge of the Clan. Then it is difficult to see the connection between the 17th Century with the Kingdom of Dalriada, which is frequently mentioned as the place of origin of several Macphersons, as that province or regality had been incorporated in the Scottish Kingdom several centuries before. Probably the misunderstanding arises from the place-name Dalraddy, which was at one time in the possession of Macphersons in Badenoch, which is reckoned to be the "home country" of the Clan, although it has to be admitted that many Macphersons are and have been resident in the county of Argyll.                                                                                                             N. L.M.

____________

A GALLANT MACPHERSON
.

      I am indebted to Group Captain Ronald Stewart, late R.C.A.F., for the following which should be of interest to all Macphersons:

      "During the campaign led by General Forbes against Fort du Quesne 1758, twelve hundred of the 77th Montgomery's Highlanders took part. Several soldiers of this and other Regiments fell into an ambush, and were captured by the Indians.

      "Allan Macpherson seeing his comrades horribly tortured to death, and knowing that the same fate awaited him, told the savages, through an interpreter, that he knew a wonderful secret of a certain medicine which if applied to the skin would render it proof against any weapon.

      "His tale was believed by the superstitious Indians, and, anxious to see the proof, they allowed him to gather herbs, and having mixed and boiled them, to apply the concoction "to his neck; he then laid his head upon a block, and challenged the strongest man to strike. A warrior came forward and, to prove the virtue of the medicine, struck a blow with his tomahawk it full strength -- the head flew off several yards.

      "The Indians stood at first amazed at, their own credulity, but were afterwards so pleased at the Highlander's ingenuity in escaping the torture, that they refrained from inflicting further cruelties on their surviving victims."

(Warburton's Conquest of Canada, pages 176-177, Vol. II.

Richard Bently, London, 1849.)

      We salute the memory of so gallant a Clansman !

                                                                                                                                                                   E. R. RIVERS-MACPHERSON.

____________

CLAN CRESTS ON BADGES.

      The Lord Lyon has requested that it should be made clear by Clan Associations that Members of the Clan have no right to use the Crest of the Chief unless when surrounded by the belt and buckle as in the usual form of bonnet badge. It is not in order for a Member of the Clan Macpherson to wear the cap crest unless in this form. The matter is quite different in the case of the plant badges which, of course, can be worn by any Clansman as the distinguishing mark of his Clan membership.

----------------------------------------------------------------20---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------21---------------------------------------------------------------

Hugh Macpherson Advertisement
----------------------------------------------------------------21---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------22---------------------------------------------------------------

Second List of Subscribers to the Clan Macpherson House
----------------------------------------------------------------22---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------23---------------------------------------------------------------

Second List of Subscribers to the Clan Macpherson House
----------------------------------------------------------------23---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------24---------------------------------------------------------------

Programme for the 1953 Rally
----------------------------------------------------------------24---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------25---------------------------------------------------------------

THE "JUST DOUBLE" OF THE MACPHERSON BOND SIGNED AT CLUNE IN 1722.
By Alan G. Macpherson.
      THE bond or covenant which is printed at the end of this article has been published twice before. In 1860 it appeared in W. G. Stewart's Lectures on the Mountains (2nd series, p. 216). Stewart's text was followed by Alexander Macpherson, the Provost of Kingussie, in his Glimpses of Church and Social Life in die Highlands in Olden Times (pp. 429, 430), published in 1893, where Macpherson footnoted his text to the effect that after the Glimpses was in proof he found "the just double" of the bond in the Cluny charter chest, and that Stewart had modernised the spellings of the original. A recent examination of "the just double," however, has revealed that Stewart's text is seriously in error in several important particulars. Stewart gives the date of the bond as 1628, instead of 1722; the place where it was signed as Cluny instead of Clune; and he has made numerous mistakes in his rendering of Christian names and, more especially, of territorial designations. It is mainly because of this that Creag Dhubh is publishing the correct text of this document, so important in the constitutional history of the Clan.

      When Macpherson saw "the just double" he must have been aware of the discrepancies in Stewart's text, but he did not correct his own proofs. This is all the more surprising when it is recalled that he was factor of the Cluny estates and therefore familiar with the township names of Badenoch. The explanation would seem to be that he believed that Stewart's text was based, not on "the just double," but on the original bond which has never been found. Judging by its calligraphy, however, "the just double" was made soon after the original -- probably by John Macpherson of Strathmashie, the writer of the original bond -- and its authenticity cannot be doubted. Whichever he based his text on, Stewart is proved to have been a most inaccurate copyist.

      The "just double" is labelled: "Bond and Signature of 50 Macphersons, Cean-tighe, etc., acknowledging Cluny their Chief." The label seems to date from the 19th century, and it reveals how unnecessarily sensitive the Victorian Clunys were in matters of chiefship and allegiance. The bond, signed at Clune on the 28th May, 1722, was in no sense an oath of allegiance to Cluny. The purpose of the bond was to institute methods of arbitration which the signatories obliged themselves to use to settle disputes amongst themselves. Cluny, whose chiefship is not in question, was given a casting vote by the terms of the bond where the arbitrators could not reach a decision. He was to be passed over with the other gentlemen of Badenoch as a "cowntrie man" (Stewart rendered this as "untried men") where the intricacy of a dispute required the advice of lawyers.

      The misleading label and Stewart's faulty date have led to further confusion among the Clan historians. The label itself has been annotated by one who signed himself "W. C. M." with the remark: "Not 1722 (1628?). I count 46 names including Cluny's." The most recent writer, W. Cheyne-Macpherson, has been equally misled by the Stewart text. In The Chiefs of Clan Macpherson (p. 27) he comments on the conspicuous absence of the Pitmain and Invereshie families among the signatories in 1628. This is unjust to the nominal heads of the two junior sliochds of the Clan, not only because they were not being asked to take an oath of allegiance, but more especially when it is recalled that in 1724, only two years after the true date bond, Cluny and several others among the signatories signed away

----------------------------------------------------------------25---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------26---------------------------------------------------------------

the Chiefship of Clan Chattan to Mackintosh. The Sliochd Iain is, in fact, represented in the bond by its most prominent family, Strathmashie, and the Sliochd Gilliosa by the families of Killihuntly, Phoness and Eterish.

      That the true date of the bond was 1722 cannot be doubted, for while none of the signatories were alive in 1628 they are all on record in the first half of the 18th century. Stewart seems to have confused the year with the day of the month on which it was signed. The "just double" gives the place of signature quite clearly as Clune, a small township above the present site of Newtonmore. That this was the true venue, rather than the Chief's township of Cluny, is suggested by the fact that Paul of Clune follows the Chief and John of Strathmashie, the writer of the bond, at the head of the list of signatories.

      The Christian names of Stewart's list of signatories are the same as those of "the just double," except in the case of Elias in Coraldie whom he calls Charles, Paul in Muikcoul whom he calls Daniel, Bean in Stramaisie whom he calls Donald, and Donald Drimcattalack whom 'he calls Duncan. He was less happy in his rendering of placenames. Pitgown became "Pitoure"; Muikcoul appeared as "Midcoul"; Garvamore as "Gaskmore"; Dalerach as "Dalroach" (Macpherson corrected this to Dalreach); Drimcattolack (Drumcatlag, now known as Cat Lodge) as "Dumtallolach"; Crathiemore as "Ordumore" and Blarviebeig (Blarglebeg) as "Blarbulorey." Minor changes and omissions occur in other placenames. Two of Stewart's signatories, however, have territorial designations which are completely different from those assigned to them in the "just double." Evan of Tirfodown is described by Stewart as "of Press" (short for "Pressmukerach" perhaps), and he gives Andrew of Pourie as "Andrew of Noide." These are the only differences from the "just double" which suggest that Stewart may have been copying the original bond. In the case of Andrew, however, he possibly confused him with Andrew in Noidmore who also signed the bond.

      The most remarkable mistake in Stewart's text apart from. the date, however, is the designation of the Chief as "Lachlan of Clune," thus confusing the names "Cluny" and "Clune" once more, but the other way round this time -- and this despite the fact that Paul of Clune and his son John, younger of Clune, were both signatories. Stewart, in fact, does not allow Cluny to be a signatory to the bond which appointed him as "oversman" to adjudicate in disputes among his own clansmen!

      Finally, a general comment is called for on the signatories. With two exceptions they were all Badenoch farmers, living within a few miles of Cluny. The exceptions were Andrew of Pourie in Angus who was, however, a notary public in Ruthven and resident in Kingussie-more; and Alexander of Cragie, in Daviot parish in the Mackintosh country, a half-brother of Murdo of Eterish. Both had close connections with Badenoch and take their Places quite naturally among the gentlemen of the Clan in the bond.

      The bond follows here, and is followed immediately by the double list of subscribers.

THE BOND SIGNED AT CLUNE, 28th MAY, 1722.

[No. 553, Macpherson of Cluny Papers; Register House, Edinburgh.]       We under-subscryvers, being sensible of the bad consequence and effects of discord, animosities, and jealousies amongst relations and neighbours against both the law of God and man, have thought fitt for prevention of that and the like evell [evil] to give our oaths each of us to others and hereby do swear that we shall behave to one another as brethern mantaining, sup[p]orting and defending one anoyrs interests and the one of us not incroaching upon the other in his means, fame, interest or reputation but to the contrair behaving to one anoyr in brotherlie love and unity as god's word and nature does require at our hands; and in furder prosecution of the unity and amity amongst ourselves It is condescended betwixt us that, in caice of any controvertible debates aryseing [arrising] betwixt any two or more of us about marches, controvertible debts, or any delict or wrong

----------------------------------------------------------------26---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------27---------------------------------------------------------------

done be [by] one of us to anoyr, that the same and all such caices that may fall in controversie (excepting heritable rights whereon Infeftment has followed) shall be submitted to the decision of two friends of each side, and ane oversman in caice of variance to be chosen by the arbiters; and in caice of variance betwixt the arbitrators in the chuiseing [choosing] of the oversman our Cheiff Cluny to be oversman; and, if the matter be so intricate that it cannot be decided by cowntrie men, that it shall be referred to one or two lawiers with power to them in caice of variance to choose ane oversman; And for the more security we consent to the reg[ist]ration hereof in the books of council and session or oyr [other] competent therein to remain for preserva'n [preservation]; and if need beis that all execution necessary may pass hereupon in form as effeirs and to that effect constitute . . . . our Prors [procurators] in witness whereof thir [these] presents (written be [by] John McPherson of Stramaisie) are subscryved by us at Clune the twentie eight[h] day of May, Jmvijc* and twentie two years; Sic subtur [subscribitur]:--

Jo:[hn] Mcpherson of Invernahaven. La:[chlan] Mcpherson of Cluny.
Jo[hn] Mcpherson, younger of Clune. Jo:[hn] Mcpherson of Stramaisie.
Tho:[mas] Mcpherson in Pitgown. Paul McPherson of Clune.
Evan Mcpherson of Tirfodown. And[rew] Mcpherson of Pourie.
Angus Mcpherson of Garvabeig. Don[ald] Mcpherson of Cullenloin.
Elias Mcpherson in Coraldie. Don[ald] Mcpherson of Pitchirne.
La:[chlan] Mcpherson of Lagan. Jo:[hn] Mcpherson of Ovie.
Paul Mcpherson in Muikcoul. Jo:[hn] Mcpherson of Benchar, yor.
Don[ald] Mcpherson of Muikcoul. Jo[hn] McPherson, son to Killihuntly.
Jo:[hn] Mcpherson, younger of Eterish. Mal[colm] Mcpherson of Phones.
Bean Mcpherson in Stramaisie. Mal[colm] McPherson of Ardbrylach.
Evan Mcpherson in Balidbeig. Jo:[hn] Mcpherson of Crathie Croey.
Jo:[hn] Mcpherson in Garvamore. Ja[me]s Mcpherson, yor.
of Invernahaven.
Jo:[hn] Mcpherson, Elder of Benchar. Alexr. Mcpherson of Crathiemore.
Angus Mcpherson of Killihuntly. Murdo McPherson of Eterish.
Mal[colm] Mcpherson of Gargask. Murdo McPherson of Shiromore.
Alexr. Mcpherson of Cragie. Jo:[hn] Mcpherson of Crubinmore.
Jo:[hn] Mcpherson in Dallanich. Ro:[bert] Mcpherson of Blarviebeig.
Don.[ald] Mcpherson in Phones.
Malcolm Mcpherson in Nissintulich.

Don[ald] Mcpherson, broyr to Phones.
Jo:[hn] Mcpherson in Nissintullich.

Andrew Mcpherson in Noidmore.
Mal:[colm] Mcpherson, son to Mal:[colm] in Nissintully.
Tho:[mas) Mcpherson in Dalerach.
Alexr. Mcpherson of Crubine beig.
Don[ald] Mcpherson, Drimcattolack.
Alexr. Mcpherson in Lagan.

This is the just double of the McPhersons bond.
___________

* J -- 0ne; m -- thousand ; vij -- seven ; c -- hundred ; i.e., Seventeen hundred.

----------------------------------------------------------------27---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------28---------------------------------------------------------------

Clan Macpherson Association Accounts
----------------------------------------------------------------28---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------29---------------------------------------------------------------

Clan Macpherson Association Accounts
----------------------------------------------------------------29---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------30---------------------------------------------------------------

OBITUARY.
      We regret to have to record the deaths of the following members, and extend to their relatives our sympathy:-- North Scotland--       Mrs. Alice Macpherson I , The Park, Lhanbryde, Morayshire. East Scotland:       William Lindsay Macpherson, 40 Belmont Road, juniper Green, Midlothian. West Scotland :       Francis William MacPherson, 120 Menzies Road, Glasgow, N. England and Wales-       Arthur Holte Macpherson, Exmouth, Devon.       C. Gordon Macpherson, Chattan, Tilford Road, Hindlhead, Surrey.       Duncan Macpherson, 4 Burslem Avenue, Withington, Manchester, 20.       Duncan Macpherson, 20 Mabel Grove, West Bridgford, Notts. Invercargill, N.Z.:       Mrs. Ina L. Sutherland, Waikato Esplanade, Ngarawhia, Waikato, N.I. Canada:       Stanley Macpherson, Apt. 12, 396 Olivier Avenue, Westmount, P.Q.       Harcourt David Macpherson, 2866 Angus Boulevard, Regina, Sask.       Hugh Buchanan Macpherson, 31 Avon Street, Stratford, Ont.
Mr ARTHUR HOLTE MACPHERSON.
      Mr Arthur Holte Macpherson, who died in January, 1953, at Exmouth, Devon, was eighty-six years of age. He had for many years a large practice as a solicitor in London, and was director of Messrs Watney, Combe Reid & Go., Ltd., from 1918 to 1931. His main hobby was bird watching, and he published many papers on the subject particularly on the habits. and distribution of birds in London. For his study, "Comparative Legislation for the Protection of Birds," he was awarded the Gold Medal of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds.      He was the second son of the late Sir Arthur G. Macpherson and was born in 1867. He was educated at Marlborough and Trinity College, Oxford.
Mr C. GORDON MACPHERSON.
      Mr C. Gordon Macpherson, who died at Winchester in June, 1952, and was formerly of Tifford Road, Hindhead, Surrey, was for more than 20 years in practice as a solicitor at Hindhead, and served for 14 years on the Haslemere Urban Council, and held the office of clerk to Grayshott Parish Council from 1928 to 1949. He was 66, and since his retirement had lived at Cheriton, -near Winchester, with his sisters, one of whom, Mrs. E. D. Stevenson, was formerly principal of St. Ursula's School, Grayshott.       The youngest son of the late Mr William Douglas Lawson Macpherson, for many years secretary of Clifton College, Bristol, and Elizabeth, a daughter of the late Rev. William Richard Geldart, for 44 years rector of

----------------------------------------------------------------30---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------31---------------------------------------------------------------

Clyst St. Lawrence, near Exeter, he was educated at Clifton College and served his articles as a solicitor in Bristol, qualifying in 1911.       During the first World War he served for 18 months as a special constable with the City of London Police and afterwards joined the 6th Bn. the Dorset Regiment, with which he served in France. In 1923 he settled in Bournemouth and five years later came to Hindhead to take charge of the branch office of Messrs Stevens & Stevens, of Farnham. Shortly afterwards he founded the firm of solicitors now known as Macpherson & Lawson and carried-on by Mr D. P. Lawson and Mr R. M. Partington.       One of Mr Macpherson's chief recreations was motoring and in pre-war years he spent many holidays touring in Belgium, Spain, France and Germany. He had also been actively associated with Grayshott Tennis Club. At one time he was a member of the London Committee of the Clan Chattan Association, and was also a freemason, becoming a member of the Hindhead Lodge in 1930, and of the Royal Arch Chapter in 1937.       A bachelor, he is survived by his elder brother, Rear-Admiral K. D. W. Macpherson, and three sisters. His mother, who lived with him for a time at Hindhead, died there in 1943 on her 89th birthday.

_______________
NEWS AND NOTES.
Marriages.       At St. Margaret's Church, Westminster, on 6th September, 1952, the wedding took place of the Hon. Shona Macpherson, younger daughter of Lord Macpherson of Drumochter, our former Chairman, and Mr Donald Le Strange Campbell, M.C. Clansmen and friends from all over the country attended the wedding and reception, and unusually colourful and picturesque were the scenes, especially perhaps the passage by motor launch on the Thames, with pipes playing.       Kenneth N. McPherson, Auditor of the Association, and Treasurer of the East Scotland Branch, was married in March this year. The following is a copy of the notice which appeared in The Scotsman :--            "McPHERSON-McNAIR. -- At St. Luke's Church, Edinburgh, on 4th March, 1953, by the Rev. Louis H. Watson, M.A., Kenneth N. McPherson, C.A., second son of the late Mr W. N. McPherson and of Mrs McPherson, 41 Comely Bank Road, Edinburgh, to Edith McNair, S.R.N., daughter of Mr and Mrs Win. T. McNair, Ardbeg, Aberdour."       Doris Jean Macpherson, 5 Albert Court, Regina, Sask., was married last summer, and is now Mrs. T. R. Cranston, 3432 Peel Street, Montreal. "A Powerful Speech."       Under this title, the July 1952 issue of the magazine Intelligence Digest, gives the text of a speech made by Colonel A. K. Macpherson of Pitmain at an "Anti-Communist Conference," attended by people from many par's of the world, and organised by Intelligence Digest.. Commenting on the speech, this publication says it "caused a deep and profound impression on all who heard it, and, not least, upon the Editor of this 'Digest'." Colonel Macpherson's main points were that the real enemy of democracy was a "Godless materialism" ; that "we are ignorant of the real conflict we are engaged in," that the ideological war must be won, by the

----------------------------------------------------------------31---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------32---------------------------------------------------------------

biggest idea of all, "that God shall rule"; and that a "2% determined, changed, creative minority would swing Britain into such moral and spiritual leadership, the like of which the world has never known." [We, are indebted to Mrs. Mabel Macpherson Hunter, Montreal, Quebec, for drawing our attention to this speech, and for making arrangements for its reproduction if necessary, in Creag Dhubh," with the Editor of Intelligence Digest. -- Ed.] The Rev. John Gordon McPherson, M.A.       We are indebted to a member of the Edinburgh Branch, Miss J. D. C. McPherson, Murrayfield, for the following notes about her father, the late Rev. John Gordon McPherson, M.A., Ph.D., J.P., F.RS.E., who had a noteworthy career in connection with St. Andrews University. The particulars are taken from Who's Who of 1908-9 :-- "The Rev. John Gordon Macpherson was minister of Ruthven, Perthshire, from 1870 until his death at Ruthven Manse on Oct. 10th, 1909. He was born at St. Andrews in 1843, and educated at Madras College and University of St. Andrews. In 1865 graduated with First Class Hons. in mathematics and natural philosophy. He was appointed headmaster of Hexham Academy in 1868; Rector and mathematics master, Forfar Academy, 1869; and mathematics examiner at St. Andrews University for various periods between 1870 and 1900. From 1876 to 1909 he was also examiner of entrant students of Divinity at the same University, and Extension Lecturer on meteorology for some years. Among his numerous publications were "Fairy Tales of Science," 1888; Strathmore Past and Present, 1887; Scotch Anecdotes, 1892 ; Meteorology or Weather Explained, 1905 ; and many contributions to the Press and various periodicals, including his work for some time on the staff of the 'Scotsman' as Scientific book review and leader writer." Kincheloe McPherson and Related Families, Genealogies and Biographies. By Lewis Dwinell McPherson, A.B., A.M., Room 712, 1404 N.Y. Ave., N.W., Washington 5, D.C.       In this book the arrangement of the text for following one's ancestors back is new, simple and accurate. Pages are cross-referenced throughout the text, from child to parent and from parent to child.       Of the 3,007 counties organised in the 48 States over 573 became the homes or scenes of careers of some 22,000 Kincheloes, McPhersons or their kin in this book. Of these about 2,200 were born surnamed Kincheloe, 900 McPherson, 397 Stribling, 246 Kinslow, 184 Smith, 174 Davis 161 Shelby, 174 Hale and 140 other familiar and prominent early colonial American surnames having from 25 to 160 members in the book. Over 50 members are in each of 37 surnames, including 130 Coldwell, Deaderick, Johnson and Martin each from 100-125 and Cochran, Green-e Hart, Jones, Miller, Mitchell, Neal-e, Roberts, Turner, Well-, White, Wickliffe, Williams each 75-100, Adams, Akin, Anderson, Armstrong, Bacon, Brown, Buchanan, Carpenter, Chapman, Cook, Cox, Creel, Ezzell, Foote, Gardner, Gibson, Harris, Hulse (Hulls), Hunt, Lyons, Phelps, Reid, Russell, Sanders, Short, Sloan, Taylor, Thompson, Whaley, Wheelock and Young -- each 50-75 members. The 103 such other related surnames each list from 25-50 members.       The first 4 pages are coats of arms, one each of the families Kincheloe and Wickliffe, and of McPherson and Barton each printed in colour. Living descendants may list from the book their ancestral generations since the arrival of Cornelius Kincheloe in Va. before 1693, or Alexander, Daniel and William McPherson in Md. in 1716 and 1717.       The book, including many early photographs, costs 10 dollars delivered. ----------------------------------------------------------------32---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------33---------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement by Macpherson, Train & Co., Ltd
----------------------------------------------------------------33---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------34---------------------------------------------------------------

Reports fromthe Branches
pp 34-38
----------------------------------------------------------------38---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------39---------------------------------------------------------------

Photograph of Clan House Opening Ceremony (above)
Lord and Lady Macpherson of Drumochter at London Dinner Dance (below)
----------------------------------------------------------------39---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------40---------------------------------------------------------------

Invercargill Branch, New Zealand Annual Dinner, 1952
----------------------------------------------------------------40---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------41---------------------------------------------------------------

Reports from the Branches
----------------------------------------------------------------41---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------42---------------------------------------------------------------

Reports from the Branches
----------------------------------------------------------------42---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------43---------------------------------------------------------------

The Historical Documents Committee.
      IT has been felt for some time that Clause 2(b) of the constitution, stating that one of the objects of the Association is "To encourage and promote the study and preservation of the history, . . . literature. . . . and traditions of the Clan Macpherson," is not being carried out while documents and papers covering the Clan's history remain untraced. Many private collections which were known to exist forty years ago-including the contents of the Cluny Castle Charter Chest -- have -been dispersed by gift and sale, or have simply disappeared. At the Council Meeting held at Edinburgh on the 11th April, 1953, therefore, a special committee was set up to investigate the matter.       The committee consists of A. F. Macpherson, Honorary Secretary of the Association, and Alan G. Macpherson, who have been collaborating unofficially in the matter for some time; with Archie Macpherson, East of Scotland Branch chairman, who has been holding a watching brief on their work. To these have been added the Editor and the Registrar as corresponding members.       The committee's first and most urgent task is to compile a record of all collections of documents relating to Clan Macpherson, with particulars of each collection's contents, its whereabouts and present ownership, and the degree of access which our members would have to the collection. Members are urgently requested to let the committee have any information which might help to trace a collection or a single document, even if such information relates to the beginning of the century.       Two private collections which the committee are most anxious to trace are the papers of Captain Lachlan Macpherson, known in Badenoch as "Old Biallid," who died in 1858; and the papers of James Macpherson of the Union Bank of Scotland in Edinburgh, who died at Dalnavert in 1899. "Old Biallid's" papers were last heard of in 1893 when Provost Alexander Macpherson, Solicitor and Banker, Kingussie, used them in writing his "Church and Social Life in the Highlands." They were then in the custody of Mr Macpherson of Corrimony, "Old Biallid's" grandson. Descendants of this family remain untraced as yet. James Macpherson's papers were last heard of in 1902 when Canon Murdoch used them in editing the "Loyall Dissuasive." They were then in the custody of George Macpherson, Edinburgh, James' brother. In 1901 the papers were used by the Reverend Mr Sinton. Both of these collections relate to important phases in the history of the Clan and are essential to the future historians of the Clan.       The committee will also try to acquire collections and documents still in private hands, and so establish a body of archives. Owners will be invited to give or loan papers to the Association, to be placed in the custody of a Clan Archivist. This aspect is not, however, at present regarded as of first importance.       It is hoped that the final outcome of the committee's work will be a full and exhaustive history of Clan Macpherson, as envisaged by the two William Macphersons, 2nd and 4th of Blairgowrie, and by Sir Stewart Macpherson of Newtonmore. The absence of such a history is felt to be a standing reproach to our Clan, especially when many other Clans have good histories which serve as references for Scottish historians. At the moment no historian can refer to our history despite the fact that Clan Macpherson had a most interesting and significant evolution, very different from that of Clans of similar status. The removal of this reproach depends upon the Clan Association and its individual members, and they are therefore asked to support the new committee wholeheartedly.                                                                             A. G. M.

----------------------------------------------------------------43---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------44---------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement
-----------------------------------------------------------------44--------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------45--------------------------------------------------------------

Additions to the Membership Between 1st January and 31st Octobr 1952
Transfers and Resignations
(pages 45-50)
Membership Summary as of 31 December 1951

----------------------------------------------------------------50---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------51---------------------------------------------------------------

NOTICES

CHANGE OF ADDRESS, etc.

Appeal for Contributions

----------------------------------------------------------------51---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------52---------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisements

----------------------------------------------------------------52---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------53---------------------------------------------------------------

Inside Back Cover Blank

----------------------------------------------------------------53---------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------54---------------------------------------------------------------

Back Cover Blank

----------------------------------------------------------------54---------------------------------------------------------------

Return to Creag Dhubh Welcome Page